Monday, April 27, 2009

Guess who ran off to join the circus?

Did you know that our beloved Associate Artist Ron Campbell has joined Cirque du Soleil? It's true. Here's a snippet from his fascinating blog, which you can access from our "Relevant Linkage" list (to the right, further down on this page):

"Among clown circles (rings?) the exacting process of 'finding your clown' is given a lot of lip service. It always struck me as a little touchy-feely but I was wrong.

The clown discipline:

(yes, it is a discipline. Just as much a discipline as the trapeze artists, hand to hand balancers and tumblers that I see every day here at Cirque headquarters practice.)

–requires one to find a nakedness and a naiveté that my traditional theatre work has only rarely asked of me. It is no longer my job to create a character and put him on like a suit of clothes. Indeed I must unlearn everything I know."

Read more at www.roncampbelltempest.blogspot.com.

Pictured: Ron Campbell in Pericles (2008); photo by Jay Yamada.

No comments: